System of the Archaeological Sites
of the Adriatic Sea
Archeo.S. is a Project funded under the IPA Adriatic Cross-border Cooperation Programme, Priority 2. Natural and Cultural Resources and Risk Prevention, Measure 2.2 - Natural and cultural resource management and prevention of natural and technological risks.
The Project is the result of a synergy created by six Bodies located on the Adriatic Sea: The Public Apulian Theatre Consortium, Italy – Lead Beneficiary, the Municipality of Fier (Albania), the Municipality of Pazin (Croatia), the Municipality of Igoumenitsa (Greece), the Theatre Cities Foundation – “Teatro Stabile” of the Marche Region (Italy) and the Abruzzo Region - Department of Cultural Policies - Cultural Policies Service (Italy). This synergy is intended to enhance those Italian, Greek, Albanian and Croatian cultural sites that enshrine the history, art and natural heritage as showcases of myths and stories.
Archeo.S. is a Project aiming at i) overcoming cultural heritage promotion problems, and at ii) improving cultural policies as well as territory management and development.
The Project is intended to make theatrical culture a tool for territorial development. Through the organization of shows, cultural events, workshops inside archaeological and cultural heritage sites, and through the exchange of knowledge created by the Network, the Project becomes a tool that enhances local economy turning this latter into a cultural asset.
The mission of the Project, with regard to the upgrading of the cultural sites, is to create a link between the entity in charge of the site and public service providers by putting in place actions aiming at the preservation and arrangement of the sites in question and at their better use, while respecting their history and favouring a sustainable development.
Actions aimed at upgrading selected venues in order to provide these latter with both facilities and equipment required for opening to the public and significant actions meant to improve accessibility to the sites to create and foster cultural tourism flows.
The Project specific objectives are:
- testing an innovative method to enhance cultural heritage sites as attractive tourist destinations in a view to strengthening sustainable development;
- organization of a cooperative "system" across the cultural heritage sites involved to put in place and implement a long-term strategy by subscribing to a Memorandum of Understanding;
- increasing the number and the quality of long-lasting opportunities of cooperation in the field of live arts in the Adriatic area.
Actions whereby objectives will be attained:
- creation of a Network of Cultural Heritage Sites;
- working out of a Governance Plan for Cultural Heritage Sites;
- organization of art workshops, vocational training courses, master classes;
- realization of theatrical productions;
- realization of Artistic Seasons;
- International Festival.